"The dragonfly is symbol of renewal, positive force and the power of life in general; also a symbol of the sense of self that comes with maturity, a creature of the wind, it represents change. And as a dragonfly lives a short life, it knows it must live its life to the fullest"
Initially my blog was about my kayaking adventures - but I have decided to include other events, photos, and day to day activities and thoughts at times. A "Bunch" of stuff. Glad you're here. Your comments are welcome.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Surprise after surprise!

June 6, 2010 - What a great day! I headed for Crabtree Lake with all my gear in tow. The wind was blowing a bit much, but in the cove of the lake, it wasn't too bad. I headed out to the main lake but the water was too choppy. It seemed like I was on the rolling waves of the ocean, although I've never been on the ocean. After a short break out of the water, I took a little break and then decided to just paddle and float in the cove area. After about an hour, I took my kayak out of the water and was considering going back home.


To my surprise, my daughter, Sharon, drove up! She had tried to call me and since I didn't answer my cell decided to come see if I was at the lake which is a short distance from her house. Since she had expressed an interest in trying kayaking, I told her to go back home and get her life vest and she could try my kayak. Also, I told her if she had any coffee, I sure would like a cup.


While Sharon was gone, I saw a car pull up and thought, oh no I hope they don't get Sharon's parking space. Then, to my next surprise, I saw that it was my brother, Steve! How wonderful. He brought his touring kayak. He took a look at my kayak and agreed with Sharon that it needed more air in it, so I added some with the inflater that plugs into the car cigarette lighter.


Sharon returned and to my third great surprise for the day, my granddaughter, Jessica, was with her. This was turning out to be a grand day. Jessica loves sports and can do anything, she is so talented and doesn't have any fear of learning new things. She had never been in a kayak before, but she can swim like a fish. I told her a few highlights of the things I had learned in my primer class and she was off. After a few strokes, she was a natural.


I drank the coffee Sharon had brought to me. For the next few hours, we all took turns taking the kayaks out, sharing the kayaks. Steve and Jessica, then Steve and Sharon, then Sharon and Jessica. I joined them a few times. Steve let me try his kayak, but I feel more relaxed in mine since it is wider. The water was really choppy. So, now I look forward to a day when the water is very calm.













Steve had to head back home, and it was lunch time. Sharon went to get our lunch. Jessica, Sharon and I sat on the bank and ate KFC, cream potatoes/gravy, mac/cheese. After we ate, Jessica took the kayak out for quite a while.

During our day, we saw a mallard duck, black duck, and great blue heron. It was wonderful day.

/Bunch






PS- As before, I had a dragonfly visit me while on the water. I need to decide what to name my kayak - maybe dragonfly, or Bunch's dragonfly, or Painted Turtle. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

sharon allen said...

We all had a great time. I can't wait til the next time either. Maybe the water will be calm. I might have to break down and rent one for me and jessica to share. I love making memories!!! Love you mommie!!!

Unknown said...

dragonfly should be the name. glad you guys had a great time.

Bunch's Place said...

I decided to name it "Bunch's Dragonfly"