"The dragonfly is symbol of renewal, positive force and the power of life in general; also a symbol of the sense of self that comes with maturity, a creature of the wind, it represents change. And as a dragonfly lives a short life, it knows it must live its life to the fullest"
Initially my blog was about my kayaking adventures - but I have decided to include other events, photos, and day to day activities and thoughts at times. A "Bunch" of stuff. Glad you're here. Your comments are welcome.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Catch Up

June 18, 2010 Thought I would catch up on my kayaking adventure since my last posting.

Wed 6/9/10: My brother and I had taken my son and his family to the airport around 4 a.m. Since I had the day off from work, I gathered my gear to prepare for a day on the water and maybe a little fishing. At Crabtree Lake you can't keep the fish you catch, so I drove to Beaver Dam to check it out. It is about the same distance from my house. On the way I stopped by the bait shop and bought some fishing worms and asked the cashier directions to Beaver Dam.
Pretty soon I had my kayak inflated, my tiny fishing pole, bag of necessities, and all ready to take to the water. A woman drove up on a motorcycle, she was interested in kayaks and asked me some questions about mine. I also learned from her that I was not at Beaver Dam. So, I deflated my K and put everything back in the car. I drove to the correct place, looked around checking out everything.
The wind was picking up, the sky had some dark clouds and, since I had gotten up so early in the morning, I was feeling less energetic and decided to go back home. At least I had an idea of what Beaver Dam is like. At home, I added the fishing worms to my "worm farm" which serves as the grocery store for my pet box turtle "Lucky" who is about 2 years old now.

Sat. 6/12/10: Got to Crabtree Lake about 8;15 a.m., and was on the water by 8:30. Paddled around the left side of the lake and back. Very hot day, about 95 degrees. I came back to shore for a break a couple of times, but spent the majority of my time on the lake, listening to my audiobooks. I also talked with quite a few people who came to the lake to kayak. It was very relaxing, I just paddled gently, no hurry.

Thurs. 6/17/10: Left work and was on the lake by 3:15. There was a mild breeze, good floating. Dragonflies were everywhere. Two cranes flew overhead. When I was taking a break, I looked over to my left and there was a pintail duck pruning or bathing at the edge of the water. I watched the duck and was sorry that I didn't have my camera. The duck began swimming towards me; I thought, I must really be in tune with nature - then I realized the duck must really be in tune with people who are eating - I was munching on a cracker and peanut butter. The duck almost came up to me, but stayed at the edge of the water. Since I have two dogs at home that sit, stare, and wait for the tidbits, I could tell the duck was doing the same. So, I broke off a piece of my last cracker and tossed it to the water. Sure enough, he gobbled it right up. Then I gave him the last bite. I guess I'll have to add more crackers to my list of supplies to take with me. I went back out on my K for a while and called it day.
Kayaking and being with nature is a wonderful way to relax, just get away. Some people jog, walk, exercise, do yoga, Pilates, go to church, join social groups - I'll just take nature - it's my relaxation and my meditation! Of course, I also really enjoy sitting on my back deck, having a cup of coffee and a cigarette - and this time of year, my Cotton Trees are blooming beatifully!

/Bunch





No comments: